Following the commissioning of the Mombasa -Nairobi Standard Gauge Railway lie on May 31, 2017, the Madaraka Express train service is in operation. The service offers one trip daily between Mombasa and Nairobi with a train departing both Mombasa and Nairobi Termini at 09:00 am every day.
As well as making sure our passengers enjoy their journeys with us every day, we’re working hard behind the scenes to ensure their journey is as safe as it possibly can be. The safety of the passengers, safety of our employees, partners and the general public while on and around the railway line is a priority for Kenya Railways and the Operator.
Below are a number of things that you can do to make your train journey safe and more secure.
Safety at stations
- Before you begin your train journey, check timetables and any connecting train or bus services.
- When waiting for the train, always stand behind the yellow line on the platform.
- Avoid running in and around the station, particularly when footpaths and platform surfaces are wet.
- Take care when using escalators and ensure clothing and bag straps do not get caught.
- Passengers in wheelchairs or travelling with prams and trolleys should use the lifts where available.
- Rollerblading, skateboarding and bicycle riding is not permitted on the station platform.
Boarding and getting off trains
- Stand behind the yellow line until the train comes to a complete stop.
- Do not force the doors open or attempt to board when the train is leaving the platform.
- If you are travelling with a pram, when boarding the train enter the pram first and lift the back in if the train isn’t level with the platform. When exiting the train, step off first and then pull the pram towards you.
- Use the grab rails to steady yourself when boarding or alighting.
- Prepare to alight before reaching your destination station, but make sure you have something to hold onto.
- It is forbidden for people and animals to cross the railway. Do not climb through or over a fenced section of the railway track.
- It is forbidden to jump off/on a train in motion or sit/lie underneath a parked train.
- It is forbidden to throw stones, metallic items and other items at the train.
- It is forbidden to start a fire on the railways track or at the railway station
- It is forbidden to graze livestock by the railway line.
- It is forbidden to throw items out of the window while riding the train.
- It is forbidden to touch or get close to any electrical equipment along the railway.
- It is forbidden to damage or steal any railway equipment or fittings.
- It is forbidden to stand or walk near the railway tracks because the train is three feet/1 Metre wider than the tracks on both sides. It can easily sweep you away when on the tracks. In the same breadth, do not even think of sitting on the platforms or the rails.
- It is forbidden to drop/pile up items on the railway tracks be it containers, wood, metals or piles of stones because a moving train can hit this objects and throw them to people injuring them or even veer the train away from its tracks thus causing an accident.