The GoK is committed to ensure Trade facilitation is achieved through provision of seamless service from Kenya Revenue Authority, Kenya Ports Authority and Kenya Railways Corporation.
• An average transit time of 8 hours from the Port of Mombasa to the Inland Container Depot in Nairobi
• Efficient in cargo clearance – 6 hours
• Assured Security and safety of cargo while in transit
• Availability of evacuation options
Promotional Tariff for Container Traffic: Transit, Import & Export Cargo for the Period 4th January 2018 to 30th June, 2018
• Kenya Railways has introduced a promotional tariff for the Madaraka Freight Service customers. The promotional tariff is valid for three months (January 4th to April 5, 2018).
• CONTAINERS (UP and Down Direction)
FOR ALL CONTAINERS TO AND FROM KILINDINI PORT/PORT REITZ FREIGHT TERMINAL AND EKT (ICDE)/NAIROBI FREIGHT TERMINAL)
|Size||Weight Range in Tonnes||Rate USD for Loaded Container||Empty container Return Rate USD|
|Up Direction||Down Direction||Ex UP Direction by Rail||Ex UP Direction by Road|
|20′ Container||Full range||250||150||100||150|
|40′ Container||Full range||300||200||100||150|
• The minimum chargeable distance for all types of goods for up and down direction is 300 kilometres.
• Value Added Tax (VAT) is levied by the Government at 16 per cent on domestic freight. Others are taxed as below:
• 1. Transit cargo is zero rated
• 2. Export cargo is zero rated
• 3. Transportation to and from the Inland Container Depot – Embakasi is zero rated but must be supported by relevant documents.
• 4. All other products shall be exempted by Government from time to time