- The railway will have a uniform design specification which will permit seamless operation across the borders
- Each freight train will have a haulage capacity of 4,000 tonnes (216 TEUS) with a designed speed of speed of 80 kilometres per hour
- Each passenger train will have a capacity of 960 passengers and with a designed speed of 120 kilometres per hour
- The designed freight carrying capacity of the railway is 22 million tonnes per annum
- The railway has been designed for environmental compatibility particularly within the National Parks where fencing will be provided along with underpasses for wild animals thereby ensuring minimal animal displacement.
Summary of technical and operational description of the project