Kenya Railways wishes to announce the following changes to improve the Madaraka Express Passenger service with effect from June 1, 2019 :
(a) Seat selection and booking
• Passengers will now select their preferred seats online during booking.
• In addition to Mpesa, passengers can now pay for their tickets using credit / debit cards for online booking.
• The advance booking window has been extended from 30 days to 60 days.
(b) Cancellation of tickets
Passengers will now have an option for online cancellation of tickets ,refund and rescheduling subject to the following terms:
• Request for refund shall be accepted 48 and 72 hours before the time of travel for individuals and groups respectively.
• Refunds shall be subject to a 30% fee of the ticket price.
• No refunds shall be done for damaged or defaced tickets.
• Refunds shall be done using the mode used at the point of purchase i.e. refund via Mpesa, bank or cash.
• Tickets will be rescheduled for the same class (First/Economy), origin and destination as per the initially purchased ticket, subject to availability.
• Passengers may reschedule up to 48 and 72 hours for individuals and groups respectively before time of travel.
• Rescheduling shall attract a fee of 10% of the ticket price.
• Damaged or defaced tickets are not eligible for rescheduling.
• A ticket shall only be rescheduled once.
• A rescheduled ticket shall not be eligible for refund.
(c) Additionally, the following shall apply:
• Passengers found traveling with an invalid ticket or without a ticket shall pay full fare for Nairobi to Mombasa with an additional 30% penalty.
• Ticket sales shall be closed 30 minutes to departure.
• Minors below three (3) years do not pay any fare; those between three (3) and eleven (11) years pay half the ticket fee; and those above eleven (11) years pay the full ticket fee.
• During booking, minors will be required to indicate the parent’s or guardian’s national identification card (I.D) or passport number.
• If traveling alone, minors shall be required to present a copy of the parent’s/guardian’s national I.D/Passport.
• Each passenger will be allowed only two (2) pieces of luggage of maximum length and height of 1.6 metres. The total weight should not exceed 30 kilograms.